Monday, January 31, 2011

Night on a Hammock

When Myrna first mentioned the possibility of sleeping on hammocks in class, it was a bit frightening to think we would have to spend a whole night out doors on a hammock. To think about all the possible animals that could be outdoors, all the mosquito bites we would get, and how horribly uncomfortable it would be to spend a whole night on a hammock. With the enthusiasm of the trip and eagerness to be in Colombia, I just overlooked that detail. When we first arrived to the indigenous reserve, I was very excited to learn about the community that lives there, but I still could not wrap my head around having to spend a WHOLE night on a hammock OUTSIDE. I was sure I was not going to be able to sleep all night. After talking to Rosa, the representative of the Wayu community, and learning about their traditions, beliefs, and culture. I could not believe that for one night I was going to be part of that. I felt so honored that this community was giving us the opportunity to spend time with them, allow us to sleep in their “guest house”. Learning that each of the hammocks we would be sleeping in were woven by the Wayu women, and they were allowing us to sleep on them was great honor. Also knowing that they were going to share with us for a night the territory they struggled so much to maintain. At that moment on the idea of sleeping on hammocks seemed incredible. As the night came to an end we all got ready to go to sleep on our hammocks I was still worried I would fall in the middle of the night of the hammock, but I was so excited about being on the Wayu reserve that I didn’t care if I had to sleep on the dirt. Sleeping outside no longer bothered me, once in my hammock I loved the idea of being able to look up at the sky, feel the fresh air around me, and hear all the little animals around. As I laid in my hammock staring up at the sky reflecting on what a wonderful and amazing experience being there was, I drifted into a very deep relaxing and peaceful sleep. That night was probably one of the most relaxing nights I have ever had, to my surprise I did not fall of the hammock, nor was I bitten by any mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment